Thursday, January 8, 2015

Peace from Within

I have found a way to restore my personal peace whenever I am injured or in danger of doubt. The first time I did this, it took longer to feel every feeling, and absorb every sensation internally. After that, it only took about 5 seconds. FIRST: I am in a very hot desert with no water for days. My mouth is so dry I cannot swallow. An infant in my arms is crying. I find a teaspoon of water in a plant and give it to the infant, then try to comfort the child. Eventually the child goes to sleep in my arms. I feel compassionate. SECOND: The most important thing about me as a person, is that I am a good person; I am kind and smart. I try to always think the best of people, and always give the benefit of the doubt. I feel self-assured. THIRD: I think of the people I love: husband smiling at me, children when just born, grandchildren running into my arms, other family and friends... I feel companionship. FOURTH: I remember my connection to the spiritual. I think of my Savior. I run to him and bow at his feet, bathing his feet with my tears. He pulls me up and embraces me with strong arms of everlasting forgiveness, grace and love. I also think of the time when the Lord showed me the beauty of a chandelier. I was able to see every possible color from every possible surface at once. "This is how I see you. You are beautiful to Me." I feel so completely loved. FIFTH: I remember the day when I saw a Tiger-Swallowtail butterfly which had just emerged from its cocoon. It's heavy wet wings were limp and large. I watched as it pumped blood into the beautiful yellow and black striped wings, fanning them until they were finally fully formed and dry. Then, the creature with long black legs suddenly flittered away... off to a new life. I remember the day when I stood 10 feet from a buck with his antlers in velvet and fire in the sky behind him as the sun was setting behind the scene. There had been fires in the mountain, so the smoke in the air caught all of the colors available. He just stood there looking at me, waiting for me to take a picture... but my phone was dead. :) I think of a wild thunderstorm with the wind blowing my hair violently. I feel the electricity in the air just before a large thunderclap. I remember standing on a mountain in Durango, CO on the 4th of July and hearing the fireworks boom move through the mountain range, through every cell of my body, then continuing on past me down the canyon. I smile as I imagine putting my feet into the ocean, feeling the sand escape beneath my feet as the water recedes, smelling the salty air and hearing the sound of the waves crashing on the shore. I feel invigorated and new. SIXTH: I remember making the Native American flutes out of wood, playing them, recording their haunting sounds... and the joy of connecting with my Cherokee ancestry. I feel whole. SEVENTH: I remember a few of the people I have helped... made an impact upon in ways that makes a real difference. I feel useful. Now, whenever someone says something condescending, unkind, or thoughtless... whenever someone I love ignores me or is hurtful... I am unscathed. I have a forcefield around me that protects me from harm. Funny, how such simple things can have such power.